Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New Media Fave: Moptop Maven


"Xtreme Deep Conditioning Treatment"


Moptop Maven is one of my fave blogs, which was written by a jewelry designer named Nikole. I first came across it when I was searching for other Black fashion bloggers and I turned up a website post from Coco and Creme titled "9 Black Fashion Bloggers Worth Bookmarking." (I also found the blog formerly known as Young, Fat and Fabulous, now called gabifresh.com, through that post as well). Anyway Moptop Maven's primary draw for me was the excellent advice on creating a haircare regimen and her step by step guide on how to prepare your natural hair for great straightening results. But back in February 2011 Nikole had posted that she was having some personal challenges and she would soon get back to the blog ASAP. However, there haven't been any posts since then. So today I popped over to her Facebook page and it looks like she is up and running again, at least on Facebook, anyway. So happy she is doing ok now.

Editorial Note: On 11/12/2011, I found a few posts regarding a possible Moptop Maven "controversy." She allegedly is a serial scammer and had opened numerous online shops, taken orders and not filled them. She's even been sighted in L.A. living large! I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon to say she is guilty of scamming or not because I don't know for sure.

And I don't know if the people who allegedly dug up info on her are scammers themselves. I will simply share this link from the Strawberry Curls blog and let you decide. Personally, I like the info she had on her blog. But then again, who's to say that she didn't plagiarize that material if it's true that she is a scammer.

There seems to be just one discrepancy. If she is such a scammer, then why does she put her pictures and videos everywhere? It seems like if she can be IDed then it would be harder for her to scam people, especially if she is being spotted around town. Most internet scammers are not in plain view, they hide behind a cloak of anonymity but then again some people are so brazen they don't care if their face is everywhere and people can ID them.

Oh well, that is life and the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment