Thursday, June 9, 2011

New York or Bust!—My Favorites Places in NYC

I have many favorite places in New York City. Just thinking about them makes me nostalgic for the good old college days I spent in the city! Here is my top ten list of fave places, in no particular order of importance.


 


- The Shops at Columbus Circle: This place was one of my after school hangouts. I’d check out the latest stuff in different stores like Sephora, J. Crew, Esprit, United Colors of Benetton, Sisley, Borders and Whole Foods Market. 


 

- Whole Foods Market: This was my definitive grocery store because it was inside The Shops at Columbus Circle and so quick and easy to get to after school. I love the ambiance, the healthy food and selection there, I also like the other location in Union Square and I like how they have different things in the hot food buffet, salad bar and hot food serving station.


-Fairway: Fairway is my second favorite grocery store that I often frequented at night after school. It was closer to where I used to live than Whole Foods Market and I would walk home from here many times. I loved the hot and cold food buffets but the selection is quite limited though. I love the atmosphere here, it's very lively but it doesn't have an elegant ambience like Whole Foods Market. The layout is very cramped and the floor is always dirty, which is standard in the majority of grocery stores in NYC that I've been in.   


 

- Borders: I came here every night on my rounds through The Shops At Columbus Circle and I’d usually buy a book. (Since I’m such a bookworm, I signed up for the Borders Rewards program, which has saved me countless dollars as a member). I’d also buy a magazine, some cute note cards, notebooks and other things. I really loved the events here as well. They’d have guests from all corners of the culture hawking their latest projects. My faves were Rocco DiSpirito and his mother. Chris Kimble founder of Cook’s Illustrated and host of America’s Test Kitchen, at the time was speaking about his latest series Cook’s Country. Michael Medved, radio talk show host, pop culture expert, political commentator and movie critic. Travel guru and author, Peter Greenberg. Nina Garcia, fashion director of Marie Claire and Project Runway judge. Carmindy, makeup artist and the resident beauty consultant on What Not To Wear. Thom Filicia, interior designer, host of Dress My Nest and former decor guru for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The former lead singer of Savage Garden, Darren Hayes and Hungry Girl cookbook author and TV show host Lisa Lillien. Editiorial Note: As of September 30, 2011, the Borders company has closed shop on all of its stores nationwide and is now a fond memory :-(



- 5th Avenue: Posh shopping destination, what more can I say!? I love the H & M and Gap on 5th Ave, both are some of my fave locations of these stores in Manhattan. These locations are expansive and have a great selection. I also love the upscale stores, just to browse in and live my aspirational fashion dream.     



- Union Square: The first time I went here was when I volunteered at Tribeca Film Festival. I was just passing through on my way to East Village Cinema where I would do a few hour’s worth of volunteer work at Tribeca Film Festival helping out with screenings. My other fave Whole Foods Market location is here as well. I also shot a video promo for Volvic Water here for a school project.

  

- Rockefeller Center: I walked all around this place my last night in NYC in May 2009. All I can say is that it was a magical, larger than life experience because it is one of those iconic places you hear about and see and you never think you’ll actually see it until of course you actually see it!


- The Upper West Side: This is where I use to live! West 88th near Riverside Drive baby! LOL. I liked the area except for the massive amounts of dog feces and urine polluting the sidewalk and air! Dog owners were SO DARN inconsiderate about leaving their animal's waste on the sidewalks and they were too lazy to pick up the poo with a plastic bag! I found myself constantly looking down in order to dodge "s" bombs on the sidewalk, which basically created a poop minefield. Very annoying and disgusting! But other than that the Upper West Side was amazing and it was a grocery shopper and restaurant patron's paradise. With all the great little food shops, markets and eateries one could get lost in food for years without having to try the same thing twice.       


- Saint Esprit Church: Free French classes take place here on Sunday. It's located at Park Avenue near 60th street. I went to a few sessions my first and second year of school but I decided not to go back because I wanted my Sundays free. I went to one of their October Fest celebrations and they had a few different selections of tasty quiche.


- The East Village: I loved the grittiness of this neighborhood. The old remnants of an era of punk rock, shady, sketchiness still remain yet wiped clean of all the real meaning from when it was first established. The store fronts are rife with tatoo parlors, peep shows and alternative apparel and of course restuarants. I liked Trash and Vaudeville, the neighborhood salwart and punk rocker apparel heaven (website after all these years! Yay!). Another cool place was Bamn Automat, an interesting dining concept where the inside of the restaurant had a life-sized vending machine style wall that dispensed all sorts of fried food goodies and the other side had a place to sit, sad to see it's gone now (but the website is still up). Last but not least, Pommes Frites, I loved this place, they sell great substantial fries and portions (AMAZING frites and creative sauces).    

No comments:

Post a Comment