Thursday, June 16, 2011

Uncommon Commentary: Shopping in Japanese Dollar Stores

I don’t remember where I first read about Japanese dollar stores (a.k.a.100 Yen Shops in Japan) but I instantly loved the concept. They are the equivalent to what we know as dollar stores here in America. 

I was intrigued when I read that they have much cuter and more interesting stuff than standard American dollar stores. After I found that out I immediately did a Google search to see if they had any in America and indeed they did! And fortunately they have some in Washington…in Seattle to be exact! 



The store is called Daiso Japan and they have some great stuff. Every time I go to Westlake Center I just have to stop by there. But recently they began construction of the new Nordstrom Rack at Westlake, which has displaced Daiso Japan, what a bummer. 

They will be relocating soon to the street entrance level of Westlake. Hurray!! But for now I will have to make do with the store's other location in Seattle's International District and I think I might go there for a few things.



Anyway, the price range at this store is $1.50 per item but some items can be more expensive depending on what you get. My favorite finds at Daiso have been plastic containers such as my makeup organizer, black 3 pocket pouch, pouches with red and yellow trim, stacking shelf and notebooks. I have many more items but these are the things that have been indispensable as of late. 


Daiso Japan is all over the West Coast but I’m sad to say that they don’t have one in NYC nor does there seem to be really decent Japanese dollar stores in New York that I am aware of either. I am very shocked about that too. But I've heard there are some Korean imitations of Japanese dollar stores in the city but they are more expensive that the usual $1.50 per item at Daiso. 

Also, there is the expensive but awesome Kinokuniya Bookstore in NYC though and certainly many Asian stores that could substitute for Daiso in New York as well.  

For Washingtonians and New Yorkers who would like to check out Daiso Japan and Kinokuniya Bookstore check out the info below. 

Washington

Daiso Japan
Westlake Center
400 Pine St.  
Seattle, WA 98101

Phone #: 206-625-0076
Fax #: 206-625-0087


E-mail Address: westlake@daisojapan.com
 

International District  
710 6th Ave S
(between Cherry St & Lane St)
Seattle, WA 98104
 

(206) 355-4084 


Kinokuniya Bookstore
525 South Weller St
Seattle, WA 98104
 

Phone: 206-587-2477
Fax: 206-587-0160

Hours: 

10:00am - 9:00pm (Mon-Sat) 
10:00am - 8:00pm (Sun)


New York

Kinokuniya Bookstore  
1073 Avenue of the Americas
(Bet 40th & 41st St)
New York, NY 10018

Phone: 212-869-1700
Fax: 212-869-1703
 

Hours: 
10:00am - 8:00pm (Mon-Sat) 
11:00 AM - 7:30 PM (Sun)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment