Friday, June 3, 2011

Clothes, Accessories and Shoes: Structured Shorts

I've never been a shorts kind of girl, I must admit....until now! But back in the mid 2000s I kept seeing Johnson shorts in lots of the fashion magazines and I thought they were so cute but I couldn't afford them since they were well over $100 and many in the $200 price range. 

However, I wanted a piece of that trendy action, so I bought two pairs of Old Navy shorts similar in style to the Johnson ones. Each pair was on clearance for about $12 or less and I jumped right at the deal. 

Both pairs are fully lined. One pair is a brown and white blend tweed with button detailing at the side of the hem and the other pair is black and white herringbone patterned tweed with cuffed hems and pleating action. 

The pleating on these shorts are flattering despite what we all know about pleating, which is that they tend to make pants and shorts look dated and drab. But the lower rise and slim cut of the shorts helped alleviate any possible old-fashioned styling.

The classic materials and lining in the shorts plus the quality construction at an affordable price are what really sealed the deal for me. But I didn't actually wear them right away and they sat in my closet for ages. 

Back in May of this year was the first time I wore the black and white pair and my friend complemented me on my outfit! 

The day I wore them, it was actually very chilly so I paired the shorts with a fitted, ribbed long sleeve black turtleneck with a black t-shirt underneath. I also wore a thin pair of black leggings with thicker black leggings over them, little ankle socks and black leather flat heel Enzo Angiolini knee boots with side tassel detailing. 

To top off the look, I wore my black and white large print houndstooth check wool jacket, cinched with a Forever 21 stretchy belt and my (constant) neckwear was my fave Target drapy purple infinity scarf and Gap black slouchy hobo bag. I just loved the feeling the outfit gave me-- so chic and put together!   
  
I can't wait to wear the brown shorts soon. I am also now on the hunt for a few more pairs of equally cute structured shorts in solid black and a lush berry color in velvet or corduroy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment