Friday, December 16, 2011

My Style Picks Part 2: Staying Skinny & Warm-- A Philosophy

Over the past few years I've developed what I like to call my "skinny and warm philosophy." It goes like this: To dress stylishly in the winter, one must keep the bulky clothes to a minimum. It is possible to do so while still achieving great warmth. There is a 2-part clothes layering system that I have come up with for myself to stay within my philosophy. {this will not be particularly innovative for those who already wear dresses, skirts and shorts by layering in the winter. This is for the casually dressed t-shirt and jeans kind of gal who wants to begin mixing up her style.}
Skinny & Warm: A Philosophy






Top Layers {from inner to out layers in order}

Bra>sleek tank top or camisole>Cuddl Duds Warm Essentials Active v-neck long sleeve shirt>tissue turtleneck or thin fine gauge turtleneck sweater> thin cashmere or Merino wool cardigan or hooded sweater>your regular warm coat {I recommend a long sleek wool coat}>soft fluffy thick cashmere or wool infinity scarf {get a long one you can wrap once around your neck and then around your head on extra frigid days>wool blend gloves {that cover your wrists well and then some}>a slouchy, chunky knit wool blend hat.

Note: This top layer configuration is for wearing with pants, shorts or skirts. To wear dresses and stay warm, just replace the tissue turtleneck or turtleneck sweater with a fitted turtleneck dress, V-neck dress or scoop neck dress similar in style to ones from American Apparel.

Bottom Layers {from inner to out layers in order}

Panties>Nylon shorts {optional, something like DKNY Smoothies or Spanx}>tights or thin leggings>thick nylon or sweater style tights or leggings{Cuddl Duds Warm Essentials Smooth Touch long pants are the best leggings for cold weather layering, in my opinion}>warm boot socks or leg warmers {optional, relaxed fit and best for frigid days}>jeans, pants, shorts or skirt>leather knee boots or motorcycle boots {with thick soles and good traction or regular winter boots {I recommend L.L. Bean Insulated Comfort Boots, my old ones are a bit different but the new ones have been redesigned and offer less color choices than when I bought mine.}

So that is my complete philosophy on layering and dressing skinny and warm. The key with this is obviously to have mostly fitted, thin layers that keep in the heat such as wool, polyester and nylon. Stay away from acrylic and cotton as they don't seem to really hold in the heat as well, for me at least.

I hope you found this helpful and if you have additional tips for staying skinny and warm, I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. love the picks!

    chlo @ chlowitty blogs
    having a small giveaway too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chlo! You have a great blog by the way! Take care

      Delete